Sapanta-Peri Monastery – Maramures

Description:

The Sapânta-Peri Monastery, located on the Romanian bank of the Tisza River, in the Livada Dendrological Park, near the border with Ukraine, was built in memory of the old Peri Monastery, destroyed in 1761 by the troops of the Austrian General Bukow, due to the fact that the Romanians refused to convert to Catholicism.

The fate of the Peri monastery was shared by other places of worship in Maramures, from the same period. Actually, the Peri monastery functioned beyond the river Tisza, but after the Second World War, with the resettlement of the borders, Romania lost a large part of its territory, implicitly its citizens that history would leave forever in the arms of a foreign country. Thus, the place of worship remained forever of the Ukrainians.

The connection with the past

The founder of the monastery, the priest Grigore Lutai from Sapânta, thought that the history of the place should not be abandoned, and in memory of the former place of worship in Peri, now on the territory of Ukraine, a new monastery is now being built. Work began in 1996,

to be completed only in 2004. The monastery now has administrative buildings in the process of being completed, but this does not prevent tourists from visiting the place to admire the church tower that seems to want to pierce the sky.

The Peri-Sapânta monastery is dedicated to Saint Michael and Gabriel, and in 1391 it became a stavropighie (patriarchal place), having an abbot with episcopal duties. The current construction of the monastery is typical of the wooden churches of Maramures, but it has some special features: pentagonal porch, semi-basement and a three-story floor that reaches a height of 56 meters

Here was built the tallest wooden church in the world, the church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, 78 meters high (higher than the Statue of Liberty in New York). The cross can be seen from a great distance, including from Ukraine.

The construction was made according to the plans of the architect Dorel Cordos by the master Ioan Stiopei called Buga from Bârsana.

The church was consecrated on August 31, 2003, although construction work is not yet complete. Also, between 2003-2004, the summer altar was built by the master Ioan Stiopei.

Sapânta-Peri Monastery should not be missing from the itinerary of any tourist or pilgrim who comes to the lands of Maramures.

Tourists who usually visit the Merry Cemetery in Sapânta end up crossing the monastery threshold. They are delighted both by the place where it is located and by the architecture of the massive wooden construction. The place of worship in Sapânta is already part of the offer of Romanian religious tourism, along with the monasteries of Rohia, Bârsana and Moisei. Subordinate to the Diocese of Maramures and Satmar, the Peri-Sapânta monastery tends (and has all the chances) to become in the coming years one of the most important religious establishments that binds the cultural-historical past with a turbulent present, always looking for an inner order of reconciliation. of man with God.

Feast: The Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel

Access: DN19 Sighetu Marmatiei to NV-Sapanta (18 km), north of Sapanta 1 km

Stareta: the nun Agnia Ciuban

Accommodation: under construction

Address: com. Sapanta, no. 85,437305, Maramures County